Hunter & Cassidy Law

After a crash: Interacting with the Missouri State Highway Patrol

On Behalf of | Jul 19, 2022 | Motor vehicle accidents

If you are hit by another driver, it is your right to make a claim against them for the errors leading to your injuries. If you were injured on a highway, you may need to interact with the Missouri State Highway Patrol as a part of your case.

Any time you’re injured, the first step should be to call 911 and to see out the medical care you need. Along with the emergency medical service (EMS), the MSHP may come to the scene as well. The Missouri State Highway Patrol officer will take an official crash report that will be used during your case.

How do you get a crash report after the trooper leaves the scene?

Remember that the patrolling officer will be a part of the investigation. The Missouri State Highway Patrol investigates injury and non-injury crashes.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol keeps preliminary crash information on its website for 29 days. This isn’t an official report, so if you want that, you will need to contact the headquarters and ask for it directly.

What do you do if the crash information isn’t correct?

Sometimes, crash data isn’t exactly right. The trooper might have had multiple people talk to them about what happened, and some of that information could be conflicting.

If you want to contest something that is in the crash data, it’s important that you contact the Highway Patrol headquarters to talk to someone about making a correction. It can be helpful to have your attorney do this if you are hospitalized or if you are not confident that you will be able to express what happened to the headquarters accurately.

After a crash, you need to check the crash data

It’s helpful to check the crash report after a collision. A Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper may come to the hospital and ask you questions, or they may only attempt to speak with you at the scene. It’s important that you understand your rights and only make statements that are factual and in your best interests. If you need help, you should talk to someone to learn more about your legal options before speaking with the trooper(s).