What You Do After A Crash Can Affect Your Compensation
The aftermath of a car accident is very disorienting. However, the steps you take in the short-term and long-term aftermath of a crash can determine whether you receive a fair settlement or award for your injury claim.
At Hunter & Cassidy Law, our Kansas City attorneys understand how to help car accident victims. As former insurance defense attorneys, they know exactly how insurance companies and their teams approach crashes. With us on your side, you can feel confident that you are taking the right steps toward recovering maximum compensation for your damages.
The Steps To Take After An Accident
If you have the presence of mind, try to do the following:
- Seek medical attention immediately. Call an ambulance if necessary.
- Call the police to have them file an accident report.
- Document the car crash site by taking photographs with your phone or a camera.
- Get the name, insurance information and contact information of the other driver and any witnesses you can find.
- Do not speak with any insurance company representatives. They will try to get you to admit fault so they can offer you less money.
- Contact a personal injury attorney.
If you adhere to the steps in this list, you stand a much better chance of recovering fair compensation.
What If My Accident Was A While Ago?
Some injuries do not manifest for weeks after a crash. You might still have an actionable claim. In Missouri, you have up to five years from the date of your car accident to file an injury lawsuit against the other driver or another party. In Kansas, you have only two years to file suit. If you miss these deadlines, you forfeit your right to recover compensation.
Work With Us To Get Maximum Compensation
We will make sure that the insurance company does not take advantage of you. When you work with us, you will not pay any legal fees unless we recover compensation. To make a free consultation, please call our Kansas City, Missouri, office at 816-692-2926 or send us an email.